Tuesday, April 5, 2011

About Me


Born in Sri Lanka, I grew up in Lyon, France since the age of nine. I attended the Lycée Martinière Duchère in Lyon graduating in International Business Management. And since college, I worked and lived in Mumbai, Melbourne, London, Paris and Stockholm, albeit for shorter periods of time.

In Europe I have a very large extended family, and I'm always surrounded with my younger cousins, nieces and nephews. I spend a great deal of time with them and enjoy helping them with their studies and sharing with them my passion for other cultures and languages.  Spending time with kids is what I enjoy the most so I went on to complete the Montessori primary teacher credential program at Institut Supérieur Maria Montessori in Paris while working for a non- profit organization as a tutor for children aged from 4 to 15 years old. Because they were learning French as a second language and attend a traditional school, they felt left behind and had to do extra work at home. My objective was to teach them that learning can be fun, as well as to respect themselves and others. It offered me the opportunity to work closely with children and to develop my skills as a teacher.

The next two and half years were spent teaching in a AMI certified Montessori school in the San Diego, CA where I met my husband Steve. Subsequently we moved to Boston MA so that I can pursue a Master in Business Administration at Babson College before starting the French-immersion Montessori pre-school.

My husband and I have a 15-months old daughter, Malaika. We enjoy exploring the world and sharing with Malaika our passion for other cultures and languages.

I'm excited about being in a room full of young minds and fresh faces, and being able to play a part in their education and early development. I would love to be a mentor and a guide to children like my teachers were to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment